Advil/Motrin.....

sunshine86
on 6/11/09 2:32 pm
This might be a stupid question.... I left a message for the nurse in my surgeon's office and haven't heard back yet....

Is it safe to take advil/motrin AFTER having the band? The only thing I can find in my book says to not take it for the two weeks before the surgery.... nothing after.

I've been taking children's liquid advil.... and it's been helping SO much with the pain.... my boyfriend said everything he read said it's perfectly safe for banders..... but I'm seeing mixed reviews.

Has anyone heard anything or experienced anything one way or the other?

Thanks!!
HW: 243lbs   SW: 222lbs  CW: 198lbs GW: 140lbs
                                              I'm just a hair under 5'1.
                                     12/1/2009- Third Fill, 7cc in a 11cc band
                                     11/3/2009- Finally under 200lbs!!! YAY!!

Tom C.
on 6/11/09 10:47 pm - Mount Arlington, NJ
Each Doctor has a different opinion ..

My Doctor's take on this is .. if it's OCCASIONAL (once a month/every 2-3-4 months) you can take anything. .. if it's going to be on a CONSTANT bases, then use Tylenol.
Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
frankh
on 6/14/09 11:28 am
hey tom,  was just wondering why we shouldnt take motrin? i havent asked my doc. if the motrin is inside your stomach and the band is outside how can it affect anything?     Thanks  Frank
Tom C.
on 6/14/09 9:17 pm - Mount Arlington, NJ

Frank,

I am not a Doctor, nor do I play one on tv .. but .. I had the same question, and from what I have been told .. Except for Tylenol, all other pain medication has a propensity to irate the stomach – which could eventually cause an eating through the stomach (an ulcer) thus eating (eroding) the band. While I don’t know what the likelihood (or truth) of such a thing, it is possible so I guess they want to err on the side of caution.

That's why it's ok to take those other medications once in a while. But if you need to take they regularily (daily, weekly, etc) then stick to Tylenol.

Again, there are some Doctors who dispel this – so ask your Doctor before taking my advice.

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
msd_2472
on 6/12/09 2:15 am
I have been using liquid tylenol and it has helped alot. You may not have to take as much as with the children's motrin.  Are you having a lot of gas pains or is it your incision?  I am having a lot of gas right around my chest and it hurts to take deep breaths.

Hope you feel better soon!

sunshine86
on 6/12/09 3:35 am
I'm an advil junkie.... especially when I have cramps & lower back pain from ovarian cysts. Tylenol doesn't do squat. :(

My pain is mostly from the incisions and the muscles below.... I haven't noticed any gas pain at all, other than feeling a little bloated. The liquid advil has helped TONS with getting the inflammation down.... it's helped with the pain far better than the demerol has.

Demerol basically just numbs my skin to the surface, lol. I'm allergic to all the other good stuff (morphine, oxycodone, hydrocodone, percoset, etc).

I woke up this morning and I'm feeling surprisingly better.... I haven't taken ANY painkillers or advil yet. I think I'm gonna lay low for a few hours and see if I can get away with NO pain meds today...

Thanks for the help, everyone!
HW: 243lbs   SW: 222lbs  CW: 198lbs GW: 140lbs
                                              I'm just a hair under 5'1.
                                     12/1/2009- Third Fill, 7cc in a 11cc band
                                     11/3/2009- Finally under 200lbs!!! YAY!!

kathkeb
on 6/12/09 5:16 am
NSAID's are a no-no in my doc's practice.

I can take Tylenol of all types -- but no Advil/Motrin

I was given Percocet for pain following my surgery -- took 1 and have not touched them since -- the Adult Extra-Strength Tylenol has been enough for me.

Hope you feel better soon --
Kath

MissyBee27
on 6/12/09 4:48 pm - Nashville, TN
 My doctor says only Tylenol. I only had Motrin... so I had to go get some! 

And try Gas-X for the gas. Either the strips or the pills are pretty small. It really helped me a lot!
Started my new life on June 1, 2009. And I can't wait to see the new me!
I Started a Blog: www.missybeeblog.wordpress.com

James M.
on 6/14/09 2:23 am - SAGINAW, MN
my doc said if you can swallow it go ahead and take it. I use the small coated tabs and have had no problems. he said you can brek them in half if you want also.
MARTY

fl2bfit
on 6/19/09 10:36 am
NO!!!  and my bet is that's why you're having the indigestion... You will put yourself at risk for an ulcer.  Did the surgeon not give you some Lortab elixer?  You can take that or honestly at this point you can probably take straight vicodin - it will handle the pain better than the OTC stuff and it's safe for your new little pouch.  I have arthritis and other issues (actually just got my MRI results - have tendonitis in 2 places in my arm too - yippee.)...  My point is my "issues" all respond best to anti-inflammatories, but they aren't safe.  So, for the arm I'm probably ending up with a cortisone injection...  :P   I'm using Flector patches on occasion - it's diclofenac (anti-inflammatory) in a patch - doesn't enter digestive system - safe - not sure it works all that well though - still trialing it...  Tylenol seems to help me for some odd reason...  So you might try that - again safe for your tummy...  Get off the Advil - ibuprofen is an anti-inflammatory - no anaproxen either... Honestly you'd likely be better off with Celebrex or another newer anti-inflammatory than either of those, but none are safe on the pouch.  Some MDs will say you can take them occasionally if needed so long as you use something like Prilosec with it...  I don't think my surgeon would go for that...  I don't want to go that route either - would rather pop a vicodin if my pain level was out of hand than risk an ulcer or losing my band...

I hope this helps!!
Most Active